1. Skip to Menu
  2. Skip to Content
  3. Skip to Footer

Notice
  • Simple Image Gallery Notice: Joomla!'s /cache folder is not writable. Please correct this folder's permissions, clear your site's cache and retry.

VENUE 

{gallery}kastamonu{/gallery}

Kastamonu

The conference will be held in Kastamonu-Turkey. The city is located in Western Blacksea Region of Turkey. The population of the urban center Kastamonu is approximately 104 000 in 2012. The city is believed to have been founded in the 18th century BC. The town was known as Timonion during the Roman period. Within the region, Romans founded a city of Paphlagonia at the town Tasköprü which is nowadays famous for its garlic production. The Dress Code Revolution started at Kastamonu by Atatürk on August 23, 1925. Atatürk made his historical speech concerning about the "Hat and Dress Revolution" in 1925 at his visit to Kastamonu. Near the city (approximately 10 miles) is the village of Kasaba with an important mosque, the Mahmut Bey mosque, from 1366, built in the Seljuk tradition. It is considered to be one of the finest wooden mosques in Turkey. The door has excellent woodcarving.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Kastamonu has a warm-summer humid continental climate with cold winters and warm summers. The average annual precipitation is evenly distributed throughout the year, with spring being the wettest season. The climate is usually warm during September. The average temperature is 15 oC in September. The average high is 23.8 oC, the average low is 9.1 oC, the precipitation is 32.3 mm, the humidity is 61%, the average rainy days is 6.8 in this month.

http://www.kastamonukultur.gov.tr/?_Dil=1

 

Safranbolu

Safranbolu is a typical Ottoman city that has survived to the present day. It also displays an interesting interaction between the topography and the historic settlement. By virtue of its key role in the caravan trade over many centuries, Safranbolu enjoyed great prosperity and as a result it set a standard in public and domestic architecture that exercised a great influence on urban development over a large area of the Ottoman Empire. The architectural forms of the buildings and the streets are illustrative of their period. The caravan trade was for centuries the main commercial link between the Orient and Europe. As a result, towns of a characteristic type grew up along its route. With the coming of railways in the 19th century, these towns abruptly lost their raison d'être, and most of them were adapted to other economic bases. Safranbolu was not affected in this way and as a result has preserved its original form and buildings to a remarkable extent.

     

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The site of Safranbolu has been occupied by human settlements since prehistory, as evidenced by rock-cut tombs. The Turks conquered the town in the 11th century and in the 13th century it became an important caravan station on the main east-west trade route. Surviving buildings from this early period include the Old Mosque, Old Bath, and Medresse of Süleyman Pasha, all built in 1322.

The caravan trade reached its apogee in the 17th century, when the central market was extended to meet the requirements of travellers. Many buildings survive from this period, including the Cinci Inn with its 60 guestrooms (1640-48), Koprülü Mosque (1661) and Let Pasha Mosque (1796), as well as many stores, stables and baths. Changes in trading structures and the advent of the railways brought this long period of prosperity to an end in the early 20th century. The town underwent a period of economic deprivation until the building of the Karabük steelworks, which provided a great deal of employment in the region.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Safranbolu consists of four distinct districts: the market place area of the inner city, known as Çukur (The Hole), the area of Kıranköy, Bağlar (The Vineyards), and an area of more recent settlement outside the historic area. The original Turkish settlement was immediately in the south of the citadel and developed to the south-east.

 

FAGUS SYMPOSIUM